[blindlaw] FW: call for papers

Deepa Goraya deepa.goraya at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 22:25:30 UTC 2012

Please forward to any academics or professionals who may be interested in
speaking at our symposium.   Attached are a PDF and a word document and the
text of the attachment is pasted into the email below.

 "Including Disability: How Legal Discourse Can Shape Life's Transitions"

Co-Sponsored by: Disability Law Society at UCLA Law, Critical Race Studies
Program at UCLA Law, and the David J. Epstein Program in Public Interest Law
and Policy at UCLA Law

DISABILIY SYMPOSIUM - CALL FOR PAPERS

We seek academics, professionals and paraprofessionals working in the fields
of disability law, public policy and/or community advocacy as panelists for
a symposium at UCLA Law on March 22-23, 2013.  Papers and symposium
presentations may be published in eScholarship under a non-exclusive
agreement with each author.

The goal of our symposium is "including disability" in legal and policy
discourses.  Disability is a part of human experience yet it is often
neglected or overlooked in these discourses.  We seek to provide a forum for
academics, practitioners, students, and the community to share ideas and
discuss important issues to the disability community, particularly from a
multicultural perspective.  Along with the recent reemergence of the
Disability Law Society, a student organization at UCLA Law, our hope is that
the symposium will solidify the importance of including disability at UCLA
Law and her sister institutions.

The symposium will be focused on the theme of transitions, specifically the
transitions commonly faced by individuals with disabilities throughout life.
For example, transitioning from high school to community living can be a
difficult time for an individual with a developmental disability.  Our
symposium seeks to address how our laws and social institutions prepare
individuals with disabilities to face the challenge of transition and be
successful in their lives. Conversely, we also hope to create a space to
explore how these same laws and institutions have created or exacerbated
challenges in individuals' lives.  Suggested topics include: education,
employment, health and benefits systems, and mental health.

CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

The conference will take place from March 22 to March 23, 2013 at UCLA
School of Law.  It will open with a welcome address by the Dean of UCLA Law,
Rachel Moran, followed by a keynote address by Professor Michael Waterstone,
Associate Dean and Professor at Loyola Law School and a national expert in
disability law.

Panels will begin Friday morning and will continue Saturday throughout the
day.  Each panel will be comprised of no more than three panelists to allow
time for a robust discussion on each topic.

In addition, we will be screening Library of Dust, a short documentary about
Oregon State Hospital, the facility best known as the filming location for
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  The documentary is co-directed by Robert
James and Ondi Timoner, two-time winner of the Sundance Film Festival's
Grand Jury Prize.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Due date for abstract or presentation proposal* (one page or less) -
December 1, 2012

Due date for solicited final papers - April 1, 2013

*Presentation proposals should briefly discuss the proposed topic for a
panel and the proposed panelist's work related to the topic.

CORRESPONDENCE

Please send all symposium-related correspondence, including abstracts and
proposals, to the following email addresses.  All correspondence should
refer to "Disability Symposium 2013" in the subject line.

Katherine Perez (Symposium Co-Chair): perezk2013 at lawnet.ucla.edu

Pui-Yee Yu (Symposium Co-Chair): yup2014 at lawnet.ucla.edu

ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Gary Blasi                   Professor of Law UCLA School of Law

Michael Waterstone    Professor of Law Loyola of LA Law School

Stephen Rosenbaum   Lecturer at Stanford and UC Berkeley Schools of Law

Shira Wakschlag          Skadden Fellow/Attorney at DREDF

Alissa Bittenson         Disability Law Society Co-Chair UCLA Law

Chaya Citrin               Disability Law Society Co-Chair UCLA Law