[blindlaw] "Question" Posting

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 06:01:14 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues,

I join the me too corus in supporting Mr. Doerr's original question as
relevant and topical because the question pertains directly to what kinds of
efforts the Federal government has undertaken to bring more blind and
disabled Americans into the Federal and general labor market workforces and
how effective such efforts are. I had not thought of the schedule A as a
kind of "binder" until Ross raised the question,  but in effect it really
is. From where I sit the Schedule A approach, no matter how well intended
the Schedule a program may have ben, there seems to be more than a scintilla
of anecdotal evidence that Schedule A has been far less than an ffective as
an outreach and recruitment strategy to bring blind and disabled Americans
into the Federal workforce. The ineffectiveness of Schedule A has to be
attributed either to flawed program design or lack of serious intent from
politicians in both parties, one that takes blind and disabled voters for
granted because they know most disabled voters will vote for them
regardless, and the other that pays us no attention because we don't support
its candidates in large enough numbers. Disability and employment issues are
not going to pop up on the radar screens of either party until there is a
close election and we demonstrate through bipartisan activism  over a
sustained period of time. Only then will candidates in both parties realize
that blind and disabled citizens are not a monolithic voting block and that
they need our votes to win the tight margin eelections that will probably be
a political reality in the foreseeable medium to long range future.

Best regards,

Rob Tabor