[blindlaw] "Question" Posting

Ronza Othman rothmanjd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 13:18:35 UTC 2012

Hi Ross and All,

Thanks for your messages on this and the Schedule A topics.  Both are
interesting and thought provoking.  I do not believe that there was anything
wrong with the message or topic raised as well.  We simply want to avoid
having discussions that criticize another person for his or her beliefs or
position, so we tend to prefer to stay away from partisan messages.
However, topics like methods for hiring people with disabilities are
cross-cutting, and therefore relavant.

I have worked on Schedule A implementation in the federal government, and I
believe that it does work.  However, I also believe that, like any other
program, it has its problems.  For example, I was surprised and dismayed to
learn this week that very few people know that the Schedule A regulations
are being revised, so the public is not commenting or providing OPM with any
feedback or suggestions.

Some states have "mini Schedule A" laws on the books, but not as many as
we'd like.  Perhaps we need an organized effort to have the states that
don't have them enact some, and perhaps we need to work to strengthen the
laws in the states that do?

What other ideas do list members have for increasing the employment of
people with disabilities?  Other than the President's Executive Order
mandating that each federal agency set a goal, approved by OPM, and achieve
it by 2015, for the hiring of individuals with disabilities, and other than
the new mandate that federal contractors, in order to receive federal money,
must have a certain percentage of their staff have disabilities, what else
can be done?  The federal government is the largest employer of people with
disabilities in the country.  How can we insentivise it for state and local
governments to hire people with disabilities?  What about the private
sector?  Do you think that a tax insentive for reaching a certain percentage
of employment of people with disabilities would work?

I'd love to hear your ideas.

Regards,
Ronza