[blindlaw] Binder question

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Fri Oct 19 15:21:19 UTC 2012

In light of the startling lack of success in programs such as the Ticket to work, Schedule A and Federal Vocational Rehabilitation programs, what do we have to lose by giving a binder containing resumes and schedule A documentation to the governor and director of the department of Labor in each of our respective states?

We could preface it by stating that it is being submitted because of the failures in existing programs so that we don't get funneled back into one of the programs that don't work.

It's a thought that we can do either collectively or via the NFB affiliates that exist.

I'd turn my resume in for such an effort, no problem.

It is just a thought, what do people think?

I have to add here that  I did try the ticket to work and VR programs after my lay off after a year of fruitless job applications on my own.  What I ended up with was a total of 6 contractors and counselors having me on their case load and, having each one call me to say that they had no idea how to help me or what to do about it. After 6 months of 6 people being paid to tell me they didn't know what to do, I asked them to close my file. Everyone around me was getting paid but me.

To be fair, none of the counselors or employment networks out there were geared for, or experienced in dealing with experienced professionals. So I can't be too harsh on them.

I learned to ask those who offer help if they had ever placed a professional before.