[blindlaw] Handling paper docs at a hearing

Russell J. Thomas rthomas at emplmntattorney.com
Mon Sep 17 20:26:36 UTC 2012

Two thoughts:

First, remember that in order to defeat a claim for unemployment
compensation, the employer must establish that the employee committed some
act of gross misconduct. Thus, focus on putting on the strongest case you
can for your client, including if necessary minimizing the negative impact
that any alleged misconduct of the former employee had on the former
employer. In other words, without worrying about documents you don’t know
about, take the time to ensure that your witness is strong and credible.

If the employer offers evidence that you have not had an opportunity to have
read prior to the hearing, ask the hearing officer to request that the
employer describe what the evidence is and why that evidence should be
received.  Claim that the employer should be required to lay a foundation
for consideration of any evidence by the hearing officer. Even with that
minimal amount of explanation you may be able to construct some meaningful
cross-examination on the fly.

Regards,
RUSSELL J. THOMAS, JR.
Principal Attorney

Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
4121 Westerly Place, Suite 101
Newport Beach, California 92660
T: 949-752-0101
F: 949-257-4756

Follow me on Twitter @EmplmntAttorney

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  This message
may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is
privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message.