[blindlaw] Handling paper docs at a hearing

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 17 21:17:33 UTC 2012

Paul & Al:

Although criminal defense is about all I do, I believe the same principle
applies.  That principle is due process and effective assistance of counsel.

Should I go into court and documents that I have not previously had access
to arise, I will remind the judge that my client is entitled not only to
counsel, but to effective assistance of counsel, and that my client's rights
to due process cannot be denied.  I then ask that the court clerk or the
court reporter read said documents to me, all while the jury is excused if
in trial.

Alternatively, I request a continuance to provide me the opportunity to view
the documents using my computer technology devices.

In the criminal courtroom, I have never had a problem.  My client gets what
I need, or the court can chance reversal for denying my client due process
and effective assistance of counsel.

Dan McBride
Fort Worth, Texas