[blindlaw] First Dinner Forum of Lyceum -- Great Success

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Wed Apr 10 15:26:23 UTC 2013

Greetings:

This is to inform that the first dinner forum of the Lyceum, hosted in partnership with the Museum of Maritime Pets, was a success. On 7 April, between twenty to twenty-five people gathered together for good conversation, good food, and good interaction at Gordon Biersch Restaurant. The next dinner forum of the Lyceum, in partnership with the Museum, will be in November, 2013.

I would be remiss if I did not thank: Elaine, an officer of the Lyceum, for her dedication to the Lyceum and its projects; the Deputy Director of MCRO for his friendship and facilitation skills; Mark, a board member of the Lyceum, for his time commitment to the dinner forum of Sunday; and the Museum for being an outstanding, good faith, and great partner.

The Lyceum is thankful of having the presence of notable Maryland citizens on Sunday: former Secretary of M.H.D.H. or Md. HHS, as I called it; Caroline; an Associate Judge of the Md. Ct. of App.; and of course Judge Jim and his wife, also a notable judge.

We are presently exploring publishing a transcript of the dinner forum in the Journal.

Broadly writing at this moment, the next dinner forum will discuss ensuring physical, programmatic, and informational access to cultural institutions. Great speakers from the Kennedy Center and the Smithsonian have been secured. More details will be forthcoming.

Stacey, current Chair of the Animal Law Section, won the door prize - breakfast with Pilot and myself at Roland Park Bakery or at Common Ground Café. She has until and inclusive of 3 May to redeem it.

On another note, we are looking forward to an informal post symposium launch celebration of the Lyceum and its Journal.

Before this missive concludes, it should be noted that Caroline propounded what was perhaps the seminal question in the discussion portion of the dinner forum. The Lyceum will look forward to working with her and organizations like BARCS to utilize a public engagement strategy (e.g. a dinner forum) to further build relationships among shelters and veterans. She propounded basically:

How do we connect animal shelters like BARCS and organizations serving veterans to match wounded warriors with companion or service dogs?

The Lyceum is open to receiving your comments (offline) as to how, if at all, the dinner forums may be improved.

Sincerely,
Gary