[blindlaw] law library accessibility

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Fri Apr 12 02:39:09 UTC 2013

I'm not a lawyer, so certainly can't comment on the second, but I am a
nerd, so will comment on the first.

Jaws only makes sense if the computers run Windows.  If they are Macs,
running a recent version of MacOS, then they will already have a
screen reader built in.

However, getting the screen reader is only the first step.  I'm
assuming that the purpose of getting access to the computers is so
that you can get access to the software or web sites that are
available exclusively on those computers.  However, it is possible
that the software or web sites you wish to access may not be
accessible.

My suggestion would be to request that someone from their IT
department meet with you at the library, where you both can install a
demo version of Jaws, and you can test the software, to see if it is
in fact accessible.

If they're using the Mac operating system, there may be a learning
curve for you to figure out how Voice Over (the Mac screen reader)
works.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Aaron Cannon