[blindlaw] [nfbcs] Amazon and Sony Are Requesting That The Accessibility Requirement Be Waived for E-Book Readers

wmodnl wmodnl wmodnl at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 10 00:41:02 UTC 2013

I think the main issue, is not whether or not the FCC will find merits in the argument.  Rather, two big corporations yealding power financially can do what they do in order to make the government whim to there desires.  We all know, that companies often use power for agendas and in many cases, political representation.  Have a good evening.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2013, at 5:40 PM, "Michael Nowicki" <mnowicki4 at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi list members,
>
> As ridiculous as this petition sounds, should we, the blind, be concerned
> about it?  I would be extremely surprised if the FCC believed Amazon, Kobo,
> and Sony, but as we all know, anything is possible.  Therefore, does the NFB
> have a plan of action?
>
> Michal

>>> IV. THE REQUESTED WAIVER WILL ADVANCE THE PUBLIC INTEREST ................
> [...]
>>> ttp://www.slideshare.net/nebraskaccess/history-of-e-books-ereaders
>>> .
>>> 5 Product buying guides commonly reflect this distinction. See, e.g.,
>>> Brian Barrett,
>>> 5 Ways Ereaders Are Still Better
>>> Than Tablets, Gizmodo (Dec. 12, 2012),
>>> <http://gizmodo.com/5970460/5-ways-ereaders-are-still-better-than-tabl
>>> ets>http://gizmodo.com/5970460/5-ways-ereaders-are-still-better-than-t
>>> ablets
>>> ;
>>> Paul Reynolds, 5 Reasons to Buck the Tide and Buy an E-book Reader,
>>> <http://ConsumerReports.org/>ConsumerReports.org
>>> (Apr. 22, 2013),
>>> <http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2013/04/5-reasons-to-buck
>>> -the-tide-and-buy-an-e-book-reader.html>http://news.consumerreports.or
>>> g/electronics/2013/04/5-reasons-to-buck-the-tide-and-buy-an-e-book-rea
>>> der.html
>>> .
>>> Wikipedia, an aggregator of knowledge and therefore a useful measure
>>> of conventional understanding, differentiates e-readers from tablets,
>>> explaining that, among other differences, “[t]ablet computers . . .
>>> are more versatile, allowing one to consume multiple types of content
>>> . . .
>>> .” It states that “[a]n e-book reader, also called an e-book device or
>>> e- reader, is a mobile electronic device that is designed primarily
>>> for the purpose of reading digital e-books and periodicals.”
>>> Wikipedia, E-Book Reader,
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-reader>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-
>>> reader
>>> (last visited May 16, 2013).
>>> 6 47 C.F.R. § 14.5(a)(ii).
>>> III. E-READERS ARE USED PRIMARILY FOR READING
>>> E-readers are “designed primarily for purposes other than using” ACS.
>>> 6
>>> Specifically,
>>> they are designed to be used for reading.
>>> Moreover, they are marketed as tools for reading, and reading is their
>>> predominant use. Conversely, e-readers are not designed or marketed as
>>> tools for using ACS.
>>> A. E-Readers Are Designed and Marketed for Reading
>>> In contrast to general-purpose tablets, the  features in e-readers
>>> are designed and built around reading as the primary function.
>>> Features that e-readers possess for reading optimization
>>> include:
>>> • Screens optimized to reduce eyestrain and prevent glare;
>>> 7
>>> • Low power consumption and extremely long battery life to facilitate
>>> long reading sessions and use during extended travel;
>>> 8
>>> • Navigation that place reading features, including e-publication
>>> acquisition, front and center;
>>> 9
>>> and
>>> • Built-in reading tools such as highlighting, bookmarking, and lookup
>>> 10
>>> 7 See Dr. Shirley Blanc, E-readers: Better for Your Eyes?, Medcan
> [...]
>>> 18 Ofcom, Communications Market Report 2012, at 7 (July 18, 2012),
>>> <http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/cmr/cmr12/CMR_UK_2
>>> 012.pdf>http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/cmr/cmr12/C
>>> MR_UK_2012.pdf
>>> .
>>> Not surprisingly based on this design and  marketing, e-readers are
>>> used overwhelmingly for reading. An Ofcom analysis on the
>>> communications marketplace in the U.K. states that “almost all
>>> consumers use their e-reader to read books.”
>>> 18
>>> Indicative of the utility of e-readers for reading, multiple studies
>>> show that reading electronically on an e-reader increases the amount
>>> of time individuals spend reading.
>>> for reading, multiple studies show that reading electronically on an
>>> e-reader increases the amount of time individuals spend reading.
>>> for reading, multiple studies show that reading electronically on an
>>> e-reader increases the amount of time individuals spend reading.
>>> 19 See id. (“E-readers have a positive impact on the amount people
>>> read.”); Lee Rainie et al., Pew Internet & American Life Project, The
>>> Rise of E-Reading, Apr. 4, 2012,
>>> <http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012/04/04/the-rise-of->http://libra
>>> ries.pewinternet.org/2012/04/04/the-rise-of-
>>> e-reading/
>>> (“On any given day 56% of those who own e-book  reading devices are
>>> reading a book, compared with 45% of the general book-reading public
>>> who are reading a book on a typical day.”); Geoffrey A. Fowler & Marie
>>> C.
>>> Baca, The ABCs of E-Reading, Wall St. J., Aug. 24, 2010,
>>> <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870384660457544809317575
>>> 8872.html>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870384660457544
>>> 8093175758872.html
>>> (explaining that a study of
>>> 1,200 e-reader owners by Marketing and Research Resources Inc.
>>> concludes that “[p]eople who buy e-readers tend to spend more time
>>> than ever with their nose in a book.”).
>>> 20 Bensinger, supra note
>>> 8
>>> .
>>> 21 Piotr Kowalczyk, These 12 Questions Will Help You Choose Between
>>> Tablet and E-reader, eBook Friendly (Apr.
>>> 8, 2013),
>>>
>>> <http://ebookfriendly.com/2013/04/08/tablet-or-ereader-questionnaire/>
>>> http://ebookfriendly.com/2013/04/08/tablet-or-ereader-questionnaire/
>>> (“E-paper screens are not meant for
>>> active usage – their refresh rate is too low.”).
>>> 22 Bensinger, supra note
>>> 8
>>> (stating that, unlike e-readers, “ever cheaper  tablet computers can
>>> be used . .
>>> . as Web
>>> browsers, game consoles and cameras”).
>>> 23 See, e.g., Kindle 5th Generation E-Ink, supra note
>>> 13
>>> (comparing hard drive capacities of Kindle e-reader versus tablet
>>> 24 See, e.g., id.
> [...]
>>> tronic-readers-kobo-introduces-touch-electronic-readers/
>>> .
>>> IV. THE REQUESTED WAIVER WILL ADVANCE THE PUBLIC INTEREST Rendering
>>> ACS accessible on e-readers would require fundamentally altering the
>>> devices and it may not be possible to meet that requirement and
>>> maintain e-readers as inexpensive mobile reading devices, and yet the
>>> necessary changes, if they were made, would not yield a meaningful
>>> benefit to individuals with disabilities. As described above,
>>> e-readers are not designed to provide ACS features and applications.
>>> Any consumer who uses a browser on an e- reader to access ACS would
>>> have a very low-quality experience. Rendering ACS accessible for
>>> disabled persons on e-readers would impose substantial and ongoing
>>> engineering, hardware, and licensing costs because the devices would
>>> first have to be redesigned and optimized for ACS. It would be
>>> necessary to add hardware such as speakers, more powerful processors,
>>> and
>>> faster-
>>> refreshing screens. It also would be necessary to revise the software
>>> interface in e-readers to build in infrastructure for ACS and then
>>> render that infrastructure accessible. In short, the mandate would be
>>> to convert e-readers into something they are not: a general purpose
>>> device.
>>> It is not merely cost but the very nature of a  specialized e-reader
>>> device that is at issue.
>>> Adding a substantial range of hardware and new software changes the
>>> fundamental nature of e- reader devices. A requirement to make these
>>> changes would alter the devices’ form factor, weight, and battery life
>>> and could undercut the distinctive features, advantages, price point,
>>> and viability of e-readers. In particular, the higher power
>>> consumption necessary to support a faster refresh rate necessary for
>>> high-interaction activities such as email would put e-reader power
>>> consumption on par with that of a tablet, whereas today the lower
>>> power consumption and resulting far-longer battery life of e-readers
>>> is a key selling point.
>>> As a result of all of these changes, e-readers  would be far more
>>> similar to general-purpose tablets in design, features, battery life,
>>> and cost, possibly rendering single-purpose devices redundant. Today,
>>> many Americans choose to own both a tablet and an e-reader. According
>>> to a recent Pew study, as of November 2012, 19% of Americans age 16
>>> and older own an e-reader, 25% own a tablet, and 11% own both an
>>> e-reader and a tablet.
>>> 32
>>> Consistent with this purchasing
>>> pattern, Gizmodo warns its readers, “don’t assume that because you
>>> have [a tablet], you don’t
>>> 32 Lee Rainie & Maeve Duggan, E-book Reading Jumps; Print Book Reading
>>> Declines, Pew Internet & American Life Project, Dec. 27, 2012,
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> need [an e-reader].”
>>> 33 Barrett, supra note
> [...]
>>> required by the CVAA, ACS will be accessible on these devices, all of
>>> which have integrated audio, speakers, high computing processing
>>> power, and applications that are optimized for ACS.
>>> Moreover, the accessibility that is
>>> required by the
>>> CVAA will ensure that many of the “layers” of these devices will
>>> support and provide accessibility features and capabilities that are
>>> of value beyond the purely ACS context.
>>> 38
>>> Put
>>> simply, individuals with disabilities have better ACS options on
>>> devices other than e-readers.
>>> 37 Falcone, supra note
>>> 9
>>> . Additionally, users can read books via the Web on all of the
>>> services but Sony Reader. Id.
>>> 38 See ACS Report and Order, 26 FCC Rcd at
>>> 14584-85 (identifying eight key “layers”
>>> of devices and explaining
>>> that “[f]or individuals with disabilities to use an advanced
>>> communications service, all of these components may have to support
>>> accessibility features and capabilities”).
>>> A waiver of the Commission’s rule is justified  because, in contrast
>>> to other classes of equipment for which temporary waivers have been
>>> granted, e-readers are a well-established class that is not
>>> experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose  device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> that is not experiencing “convergence” toward becoming a multipurpose
>>> device.
>>> 39 Cf. Waiver Order, 27 FCC Rcd at 12977-78, 12981, 12990-91
>>> (describing possibility of convergence in classes of devices for which
>>> waivers were granted).
>>> 40 Moreover, it is generally expected that demand for e-readers will
>>> continue well into the future. One study by the Market Intelligence &
>>> Consulting Institute projects 23.0 million units of e-reader sales
>>> worldwide in 2016. See eMarketer, Ereader Shipments on the Rise (Nov.
>>> 8, 2012),
>>> <http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Ereader-Shipments->http://www.emarke
>>> ter.com/Article/Ereader-Shipments-
>>> on-Rise/1009471
>>> . A different study by IHS iSuppli projects worldwide sales of
>>> e-readers at 7.1 million units in 2016. See Barrett, supra note
>>> 5
>>> . Assessing the more pessimistic of these studies, Gizmodo concludes
>>> that e-readers are “great, they’re cheap, and they're not going
>>> 41 Accordingly, a waiver that extends across multiple generations is