[blindlaw] A different view of Driverless cars

Michael Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 16:17:57 UTC 2013

Hi Bill and Ross,

I just wanted to jump in on this conversation because the topic is so
exciting.  I predict that self-driving car technology will greatly impact
society.  One's imagination could stretch very far when considering how
this technology could free up a drivers time.  I read a Stanford
professors' thoughts on the subject.  He predicts autonomous vehicles that
have an exercise bike or treadmill, shower, desk, and bed.  If there is no
need to worry about driving or an accident then these are things that a
person could use during a long commute to work from the suburbs.  The
Economist magazine predicted that business men would rent motorhome
autonomous vehicles to traverse the country instead of flying because the
motorhome would be so much more convenient and cheaper than flying.  Along
those lines, one could imagine small fully autonomous passenger planes
(like a flying motorhome - not like Spaceballs - but like a autonomous
passenger leer jet) for longer trips.  If there is no need to worry about
pilots or air traffic control then the biggest expense in renting such a
plane could be the cost of fuel.  This is not even to mention, that the
number of truck stops and interstate hotels may shrink since truck drivers,
there biggest customers, will no longer be needed because they will be
replaced by autonomous tractor trailers.

This is a prediction of a somewhat distant future.  It is built on many
iterations of autonomous vehicle technology.  Consider that the modern car
is the end result of a long path of technological iterations.  Currently,
autonomous vehicle technology is at a pre-Model T stage.

Autonomous vehicle technology needs to start a journey down a path of
technological iterations.  The first step is an autonomous vehicle that can
be sold to the public.  Will the first autonomous vehicles sold to the
public be absolutely perfect?  No.  That would be impossible.  Compared to
a 2013 car is a Model T perfect?  No.  Nevertheless, it is obviously very
good that Model T's were sold despite their deficiencies compared to later
model cars.

So, why isn't there an autonomous car that can be sold to the public?  The
answer is government regulators demanding perfection from the first
iteration.  Regulators are applying the precautionary principal (better
safe than sorry).  If, a hundred years ago, government regulators applied
the precautionary principal to car manufactures, right now our car
technology would be in a sorry state compared to where it currently is
at.

I guess my point is that, the precautionary principal is ruining my life in
many ways because I have a disability and I'm counting on some big
technological advancements that aren't happening in part because of overly
cautious government regulators that have no incentive to consider how these
technologies could impact a disabled persons life.  Whether it be with the
FDA and retinal gene therapy or with the Department of Transportation and
autonomous vehicles, things are advancing way slower than they should be
and it's because we have government literally standing awkwardly in the
way.

Oh yea, Bill, in my opinion, if the car is autonomous then there could not
be any 'driver' liability because there is no actus reus.

Mike