[blindlaw] Being unable to see relevant evidence in a legal case

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Sun Aug 25 03:32:43 UTC 2013

Hi Amy,

I am a new Attorney, I've been practicing for about three months now and I was a student Attorney from May 2011 to December 2012.  I practice in the areas of criminal defense, family law, estate planning, and military legal assistance.

A case that comes to mind was a driving while intoxicated case where I represented a defendant and there was a DVD shot at the scene of the stop, and the Field sobriety test.  In case you have not had this test described, there are basically three main tests.  The "walk a straight line", the "stand on one leg", and the "horizontal stagmus" (I know I spelled that wrong.

The problem is she sounded pretty sober and in control based on her speech when listen to on the video.  if I had to make a judgement called as the judge based on this fact alone, then most likely she would have walked.  However, no one practices law in a vacuum, so, a jury, a judge, and an Attorney has others who they will call upon for assistance so that the Judge, juror, and in my case, the attorney, can get as much as the whole picture as is possible.

I called upon another attorney to describe for me the result of the field sobriety test so that I could make a complete presentation to my client and so that they could make a decision on whether they wish to proceed with going to trial or try to get a plea deal.  Remember that although I could not see the video, it would be up to me to present the case and all of the options to my client in order that they could make a full decision.  This is not something that a blind attorney does because they are blind but rather it is something that most attorneys do to practice better law.

Other cases include a family law domestic violence case where I needed to have a picture described to me. For that assistance, I called upon a friend who is a homicide detective at the local police department.  If you do become an attorney, it will be up to you to do is much networking is possible. The assistant is there, and believe me, it will be offered. That being said, you must be ready to provide your own talents to assist the others who assist you. Trust me, they will call upon you and you will be able to repay the assistance.  Again, in the legal profession, never close yourself off in a vacuum.  I have had Attorneys who have been practicing for 25 years ask my take on legal matters just to get a "fresh" look at the situation.  So, you are never alone unless you either choose to be alone or put yourself there.

I do hope this helps and welcome to the list.

Robert D. Dittman, ESQ.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

Law Office of Robert Dittman
Riverview towers