[blindlaw] Being unable to see relevant evidence in a legal case

Paul Sullivan paul.sullivan416 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:25:21 UTC 2013

Hi amy,

I wrote the original email you referenced in your message. Many people
on this list seem to believe that a blind attorney needs a lot of help
in terms of sighted assistance with things like documents, etc. I'm
not sure I agree, though I've only been practicing four 7 months and
in a field (employment law) which is not a high-volume area, meaning I
have a fewer number of large cases, rather than a large number of
small cases.

Regarding your question, having evidence described to you is not a
problem. Hearsay applies to evidence and testimony offered by
witnesses. So, as the attorney, you are not offering evidence or
testimony, whether you describe something or have something described
to you by a sighted person. Rather, you are responsible for producing
witnesses who will offer testimony or evidence, and the hearsay rule,
which is quite complex, will apply to their offered testimony or
evidence. The long and short of this is to say that a blind attorney
should be fine, provided he/she does an adequate job of preparing the
case.

I personally chose to stay away from high-volume practice areas like
criminal defense and family law. These are practice areas that would
have put me in court very frequently, often with little time for prep
and little time to review evidence, either with sighted assistance or
otherwise. I know this can be done--there's a person from a public
defender's office on this list--but it would require a lot more
sighted assistance. I'm a pure solo practitioner, so I have only
myself to rely on, so I decided to work in an area that would allow me
more time to review evidence and build my case.

I hope some of that made sense. Best of luck going forward.

Paul

--
Paul R. Sullivan, Jr.
100 Fifth Avenue