[blindlaw] Programs that access Computer

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Thu Dec 26 23:17:54 UTC 2013

Hi.

Some versions of Windows include support for an application known as
Remote Desktop.  Jaws also offers support for this application, but it
requires an extra $200 add-on purchase from Freedom Scientific.  In
addition, setting it up securely will almost certainly require a good
deal of research, or help from an IT professional.  Unfortunately,
that is the only way that I know of to do what you are trying to do
with Jaws.

You might also try asking on the NFBCS list, as I'm not super familiar
with setting this up, and there may be other options available that
I'm unaware of.  I've used remote desktop, but I didn't set it up.  My
work took care of that, and I've not had a need to learn to do it
myself.

Finally, you should note that jaws, and everything else is noticeably
sluggish when running a remote desktop session.  How sluggish will
depend on how much latency there is between the host and remote
machines.  Personally, it drove me crazy, and I avoided using it as
much as possible, except to copy documents, or quick and simple things
like that.

Good luck.

Aaron