[blindlaw] registration now open for UCLA's Disability Law Symposium

Deepa Goraya deepa.goraya at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:00:56 UTC 2013

The Disability Law Society at UCLA's School of Law is hosting a Disability
Law Symposium toward the end of March. More info and the link to register is
below.

http://-orgs2010.law.ucl-a.edu/dls/-symposium2013/-Pages/-default.aspx

The goal of the symposium is "including disability" in legal and policy
discourses. Disability is a part of human experience yet it is often
neglected or overlooked in these discourses. We seek to provide a forum for
academics, practitioners, students, and the community to share ideas and
discuss important issues to the disability community, particularly from a
multicultural perspective. Along with the recent reemergence of the
Disability Law Society, a student organization at UCLA Law, our hope is that
the symposium will solidify the importance of including disability at UCLA
Law and her sister institutions.

The symposium will be focused on the theme of transitions, specifically the
transitions commonly faced by individuals with disabilities throughout life.
For example, transitioning from high school to community living can be a
difficult time for an individual with a developmental disability. Our
symposium seeks to address how our laws and social institutions prepare
individuals with disabilities to face the challenge of transition and be
successful in their lives. Conversely, we also hope to create a space to
explore how these same laws and institutions have created or exacerbated
challenges in individuals' lives.

Deepa