[blindlaw] State VR Occupational Goal

Marina Cordova law at cordovaesq.com
Wed Jul 17 16:52:02 UTC 2013

Zachariah,
You can check out the book "Americas Greatest Places to work with a law
degree" by Kimm Alayne Walton, JD; and "Guerilla Tactics for Getting the
Legal Job of Your Dreams" by the same author.  Both list alternative jobs
you can obtain with a JD.

Perhaps your counselor is unaware of the number of blind attorneys,
including myself, that have had "attorney" on their plan.  In addition, on
the one hand she wants other career goals with a JD but worries about
extended time to obtain the same degree? Plus the other risk of not having
Attorney as your goal, is your counselor needs to plan ahead for the state
helping you with the costs of the bar exam and after your JD. The feds
provide funds to states to assist consumers with obtaining "employment" not
just a degree.

I would suggest calling my state director of the New Mexico Commission for
the Blind Greg Trapp. He is a blind attorney.  And understands what should
be in your plan and what the state is required to provide, whether they want
to or not.  Commission number is 505-841-8844.

And see there's two other job goals: author and director of a state agency.

Sincerely,
Marina A. Cordova
Attorney at Law
1000 Cordova Place, # 234
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Office (505) 467-8395
Fax (505) 467-8746
PLEASE NOTE MY CHANGE OF EMAIL ADDRESS TO: law at cordovaesq.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This email message (including attachments) is covered
by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC Section 2510-2521, and
is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, forwarding or distribution is
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are
the intended recipient but do not wish to receive communications through
this medium, please so advise the sender immediately.