[blindlaw] Accessing restricted court documents

Paul Wick wickps at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 20:36:29 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I have a question concerning access to restricted judicial records by
blind people, (I am a blind attorney, but this is for my own research
not for a client.)

I have been granted access to view a restricted document in a rural
courthouse, but I was wondering what list members think would be a
more reasonable accomodation of my disability either to (1) execute a
power of attorney and have someone else view it, and allow that person
to take notes, or (2) alternatively, if my presence is required, that
my assistant be allowed to accompany me to wherever the restricted
documents are stored and that they be allowed to take notes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Paul