[blindlaw] Accessing restricted court documents

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Sat Jun 15 22:47:33 UTC 2013

Hello Paul, please excuse any typos or spelling errors as I am dictating this message to you using my iPhone. I am a criminal defense attorney and I frequently use the discovery system from the District Attorney's Office. The problem with this system, is that it utilizes scanned images as PDF documents. Such documents are not text PDFs, but are rather scanned images that my screen reader will not read. I see absolutely no problem with your Your assistant reading the document to you, or, in the alternative, you printing the text based PDF or image-based PDFs and scanning it using an OCR program such as open book I would speak with the custodian of the documents to see what reasonable accommodation they may have in place. The basic prime directive, is that if you have been granted access to the document then you must be able to move heaven and earth to gain access to that document using what ever modification that is necessary in order for you to access the information of that document. I hope that this helps if you wish to speak with me over the telephone or via email in trying to put some of this into action please feel free to contact me.
Robert Dittman, Esq.
Atty. and Counselor at Law
(210) 389 – 3388
Rdittman at me.com