[blindlaw] Accessible curriculum question

Amber Boggs amber at amberboggs.com
Tue May 21 16:31:48 UTC 2013

Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone on this list might be able to answer a question. I know that there are very specific laws pertaining to students and accessible text books. However I am not certain if that includes teachers whblind that need accessible curriculum  or parents who are blind who need accessible curriculum to homeschool or follow along with their child.
I am currently trying to obtain a homeschool curriculum to use with my children and the publisher is refusing to provide it in an accessible version. They admit that they have it in a PDF form, but do not want to give it to me because of intellectual copyright. I have tried to explain to them that I understand the intellectual copyright and will sign anything they need. I have also suggested they put it in a password protected file, or water mark the PDF for my use only.  They also offer this course as an online membership. However you are required to purchase a 12 month membership that Grant to access only during that time frame. Which would mean I have to purchase the course every time one of my children need to take it. This would more than triple my cost. Obviously I can  obtain the hard copy books and scan them myself. But it seems to me that if they have it inaccessible form this would be the ideal way of utilizing their material. My question is is there any laws regulations that would pertain to a blind parent or teacher meeting accessible curriculum to educate their children or students? This agency is not government funded,
If you need more information feel free to email me. Thank you all for any help you provide.
Amber

Sent from my iPhone