[blindlaw] 1l summer internships and assistive tech

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:45:11 UTC 2013

Hello All,

I am sure this has been raised before, but I am wondering if anyone
has advice regarding 1l summer internships and assistive
technology--namely, how to address the elephant in the room of the
expense of the technology versus the time period during which I will
be working at a particular place.

Does anyone have advice on how to address this, or the issue of
potential discrimination that is always inherent when dealing with the
short term hiring of a person with a disability doing more or less
dime-a-dozen  grunt work? I confess that i don't know much about the
application and interviewing process--we've only just been able to
legally speak with our career counselors--so I apologize if some of
these questions are rather routine. I wanted to go into my first
appointment with my counselor as prepared as possible.

I own copies of all the tech I need and, in undergrad, this is what I
would use for internships, but I have heard that people in the legal
profession tend to be not so amenable to this approach. Are there
particular types of summer jobs where the intern's responsibilities
lend themselves particularly well to a totally blind assistive tech
user other than research positions? note that I am not currently
working with OVR because I am going to school out of state and so the
two states are currently both fighting me on not wanting to open a
case with me.

any advice about how to address this in the internship process would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Laura