[blindlaw] Formatting Woes

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 00:08:40 UTC 2013

Hi all,

 I hope this message finds you well.
I was wondering if we could have a dialogue about 1 major challenge
which I have often  encountered during my internships and which  some
of you must have had to confront as well at some point.
As I am sure you know, it is not easy for a visually impaired person
to format documents as effectively and quickly as a sighted person.
Due to this inherent difficulty, it often becomes difficult to
complete assignments in a time bound manner, as one has to
scrupulously check the formatting of the documents which is not at all
easy with a screen reader.
The sighted person, who is responsible for assigning the work,
generally believes that the  aforementioned delay is due to the fact
that the VI person lacks efficiency and competence.
This is primarily because most of them do not know how hard it is for
a VI person to format documents independently. Another point worth
noting is that the VI person cannot overlook evenminor instructions
pertaining to the formatting of the documents just  to complete the
work quickly,  as that would greatly tarnish his/her image.
This problem prevents visually impaired people from truly showcasing
their potential which substantially reduces their chances of getting a
 job offer.
So, what, in your view, is the best way of dealing with this problem?

Cheers,
Rahul