[blindlaw] Blind HighSchool student intrested in Law

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:43:41 UTC 2013

Colleagues,

I have read with great interest this topic.  While I have my own personal opinions which I am about to express, let me first state that those with different opinions are entitled to such opinions and they also have value.

First, I would state vehemently that the use of Braille is a skill that is extremely valuable and dare I say necessary.  Speech can not truly take the place of Braille in most situations.  While I understand that there are those of us in the blind community who function with speech on a daily basis, well, most of us do,  there are challenges for those who choose or can not  utilize Braille that are not as prevalent as those of us who utilize braille..  Consider the following passage.

I went out in the mourning feeling Mary and went to get the male.  I then kneaded to by some bread so I walked to the place where it's four sail.

Anything wrong with that passage?  sounds wonderful just utilizing speech, spellcheck, and at first pass.  To close, I fully recognize that not all of us had a Braille education.  God knows I hated Braille as a kid, and did not fully utilize it until I got into law school when I realized that it was so darned useful.  The point is that we should encourage braille literacy as much as is possible it can only help, and I have found as a new Attorney I use it for all kinds of things I had not considered.  I have two Braille displays, the prices are comeing down, as awell as some books of english spelling, style, correct punctuation usage and so one for me to self edit my documents.  Yes I still have a sighted colleague who happens to be a former English teacher proofread my documents for me, but it is exhilarating when he states to me Counsel, I can find no errors in this document.

2. I want to give Jeff hope that even if he does not go to an ivy League undergraduate institution of higher learning nor an top law school, he can still greatly enjoy the practice of law.

I did not go to either of these things although St. Mary's University school of Law is a well respected law school.  I have my own solo practice, I am make enough money to keep the lights on, I go to court almost every day which is what I want to do, and I am earning the respect of my colleagues and clients.  What more can I ask for?  I have a friend working for a top law firm having to bill every nine minutes and although they pay her $90,000 per year she feels like she must serve these masters although she hates it.  I am not hungry, I am free to structure my day, and I am serving the profession.  Again, what else can I ask for.

I hope this gives a new prospective on the conversation.

Warmest regards, and Jeff hang in there and if you have any questions, please ask.

Robert D. Dittman, ESQ.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
(210) 299-7658
RDITTMAN at ME.COM