[blindlaw] Should I be offended?

Gerard Sadlier gerard.sadlier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:12:20 UTC 2014

Hello Derek,

I'm not US based but having dealt with law firms when interviewing
etc. here in Ireland, I really think that what you have to remember is
that most of these people have never dealt with a visually impaired
lawyer before and don't know what to expect. I think it's up to you to
give them guidance both on the accommodations you are looking for (as
I understand you have) and on issues like being sent to a Department
where another visually impaired lawyer is based, purely because they
are there.

I suspect that as you say, the lady in question meant well. She may
for example think that if (as I assume) an externship is a short term
appointment, the fact that accommodations are already set up may be
helpful because it would allow you to hit the ground running. She may
be concerned that, with the best will in the world, their might be
teething problems with accommodations and she may have concluded that
they are less likely where accommodations already exist. (To be clear,
I am not excusing an employer who fails to provide accommodations, I
am saying that in reality, teething problems do sometimes happen and
that if your externship lasts for say three months and fixing issues
takes a week or 2, you have lost part of the benefit of an externship
- this is also an important consideration if you are doing a summer
placement with a firm, with a view to being hiered as you will want to
show what you can do, not to be undermined by teething problems not of
your making.)

So I would frame my response diplomatically (as I'm sure you would in
any event) and explain either that health law is not something that
would suit you or that you would in fact be interested in doing health
law. By all means, make it clear that you don't see yourself as going
to a particular department simply because there is a visually impaired
lawyer there already, if the email made you uncomfortable. However, in
fairness, I hardly think that the presence or absence of a single
visually impaired lawyer within what sounds like a reasonably large
department amounts to your segregation?

Those are my thoughts, I would be interested in other views.

Kind regards

Ger