[blindlaw] National Association of Blind Lawyers Annual Meeting Agenda

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Thu Jun 19 22:47:12 UTC 2014

Greetings everyone:

Below you will find the agenda for the NABL Annual Meeting.  We will have an
interesting discussion/debate regarding whether owners of service animals
can be legally required or should be legally required to register their
animals and possess some proof of the dog's authenticity as a service
animal.  We will talk about the Second Circuit's decision in the Hathitrust
case just handed down on June 10th and efforts to ratify the Marrakech
Treaty.  These two items have a significant impact on the right to read
campaign worldwide.  We will entertain a panel discussion of assistive
technology in the workplace and whther courts are viewing same as a
reasonable accommodation.  Everyone thought that the Help America Vote Act
(HAVA) secured an independent and secret right to vote for the blind but
wait.  Our HAVA panel will discuss recent, disturbing trends and what is
being done about it.  Finally, we will take up a discussion of the
Randolph-Sheppard Act.  As blind lawyers, we find ourselves either directly
involved in these cases or advising other blind business men and women about
it.    II am confident we will have a great annual meeting and a terrific
reception afterwards.

See you in Orlando!

Scott LaBarre

**************************

AGENDA

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS

2014 ANNUAL MEETING

-----

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Salon 19, Level 2

Rosen Centre Hotel

Orlando, Florida

1:00 pm.    WELCOME AND MEETING LOGISTICS

Scott C. LaBarre, President, NABL, Denver, Colorado

1:05 p.m.  PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO USE SERVICE ANIMALS:

A Panel Discussion Including a Debate Regarding Whether All Service Animals
Can Legally Be Required to Possess Registration

Randy Farber Esq., Partner, Jackson Walker, Board Member, NABL, Houston,
Texas; Marian Gwizdala, President, National Association of Guide Dog Users,
Tampa, Florida; Jessica Beecham, Guide Dog User and Chapter and Community
Development Director, Littleton, Colorado

1:50 p.m.   THE RIGHT TO READ CAMPAIGN MARCHES CLOSER TO VICTORY:

A Panel Discussion of the HathiTrust Victory and the Marrakech Treaty

Daniel F. Goldstein Esq., Partner, Brown Goldstein and Levy, Baltimore,
Maryland; Scott C. LaBarre, Esq., Lead NFB Delegate to the World
Intellectual Property Organization, Board Member, Accessible Book
Consortium, Denver, Colorado

2:35 p.m.   ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORKPLACE, CLEARLY A REASONABLE
ACCOMMODATION, RIGHT?

Joseph B. Espo, Esq., Partner, Brown Goldstein and Levy, Baltimore,
Maryland; Timothy R. Elder, Principal, TRE Legal, Second Vice President,
NABL, Freemont, California

3:20 p.m.   BREAK

3:30 p.m.   HAVA SECURED THE RIGHT TO A SECRET AND INDEPENDENT

BALLOT FOR ALL VOTERS WITH DISABILITIES, RIGHT?

Charles S. Brown, Esq., Member, American Bar Association Standing Committee
on Election Law, Arlington, Virginia; Lou Ann Blake, J.D., HAVA Project
Manager, NFB, Baltimore, Maryland

4:15 p.m.   THE RANDOLPH-SHEPPARD ACT:

What Every NABL Lawyer Should Know

Susan Rockwood Gashel, Esq., Randolph-Sheppard Law Expert,

Avon, Colorado

5:00 p.m.   ADJOURN

5:00 to 6:30 p.m.  ANNUAL NABL RECEPTION (ticketed event)

Join us for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres as we celebrate the progress of our
organization.  Network and meet your fellow blind attorneys and legal
professionals.

  Salon 9, level 2.