[blindlaw] conference call for LSAT

Sexton, bruce philosopher25 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 20:25:20 UTC 2014

Okay, sounds like we have interest.

I propose some of the following topics,  add to it please.  Each major topic
might be substantial enough to be their own call.  If we want to skip a
topic due to lack of interest we can.

Accommodations
*  requesting accommodations from LSAC
*  What accommodations have been granted in the past.
*  What test formats are available
*  Of the available test formats, what is included, what are the
challenges/advantages to each

Test Preparation
*  test prep material or companies that are most accessible. (Kaplan's books
are new and not completely accessible as of June 30, 2014, bookshare's
formulas are removed in the Logic game sections)
*  how to self-advocate for accessible material.
*  what if self-advocacy does not work?
* what are work around people use?

LSAT Alternative Techniques Advantages and challenges:
*  Excel
*  Braille
*  Magnet boards or other physical pieces
*  speed and accuracy (what is blindness related and what is lack of
practice/skill/ individual limits.)
* keeping track of all the elements (answer choices, queries, passages,,
game rules, pieces etc.)

Reader/amanuenses:

* to use or not to use
* how to strategically use a reader/amanuenses on the LSAT or in preparation
*  prep with a LSAC chosen reader

Rehab:

*  What are the strategies people use to request rehab's assistance.
* what kinds of services have VR programs provided pre-law students?
*  What law schools should a student attend while seeking VR assistance?
*  what can VR provide while in law school?

I propose we have someone take notes to provide future blind students the
info we come up with.  We could update the info or have calls like these
periodically.

-Bruce