[blindlaw] few questions about college

Derek Manners dmanners at jd16.law.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:22:56 UTC 2014

Economics, philosophy, and political science are the three most common majors/people with those majors do the best in law school. Not sure if it based on correlation or causation but I think those fields do cause you to think about the world in a logical way which is helpful for law schools.

Also, if you can tell us why you want to be a lawyer, majors and areas of law that might interest you will be easier to give advice about.

However, I'd push back on the challenging classes theme others have mentioned. Law schools basically only look at your GPA, where you went to undergrad, and your LSAT score. That isn't to say that you can't get in based on other factors. But if you don't want a mountain of debt and want a school to offer you a scholarship, those are the three keys to getting one.

So protect your GPA at all costs while still taking classes that aren't completely useless.

Also, when the time comes 4 years from now to take the LSAT, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting in a small group prep course with either KAPLAN or Princeton Review.

Best
Derek

Sent from my iPhone