[blindlaw] courtesy and JAWS (and other talking office products)

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 18:06:38 UTC 2015

Another option is to use headphones that are a bit more obvious but do
not impact your ability to hear other sounds (unless, of course, you
want to use headphones with active orpassive noise-cancelling
capabilities). I particularly like these headphones, which are
inexpensive, have pretty good sound, and have an in-line volume
control:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007056H?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

But, again, these do not isolate you from ambient noise. I keep my
door closed more often than most of my coworkers, but I recognize this
isn't an option for everyone.

If you want a good earbud-type solution, I recommend the following,
from Perkins Solutions:

http://www.perkinsproducts.org/store/en/reading-devices/243-earphone.html

This "over-the-ear single earphone speaker" is flat, and I often wear
an iPhone headset over it. I play music at low volumes. Perhaps it
sounds counter-intuitive, but the music makes other ambient noise less
distracting to me. Here's a link to the iPhone headset I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV8PKG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This one is also not good at isolating you from ambient noise. For
that, you might try one like the following (I haven't used it but have
considered it):

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440525814&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

As an aside, I find it hard to concentrate on JAWS unless I am wearing
an earbud or headphones. Of course, your mileage may vary.

If you do come across a good statement re assistive technology use,
please pass it on.

Angie