[blindlaw] putting a house in trust

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:30:43 UTC 2015

Mike,

Dan made some very good points. I believe the Virginia rules of
professional conduct address an attorney drafting a will and acting as
executor for a family member, but I couldn't find the exact rule
yesterday. You could serve as executor, especially given that you are
a natural object of your father's bounty. There would be a problem if
you drafted a will for someone to whom you are not related and the
will named you as a beneficiary.

We have TOD deeds here in Virginia as well. I don't know if they do in
California, but this could be a good option.

As for do-it-yourself trusts, I echo Dan's advice. I recently created
a will for myself on a free site to see what the end product would
look like. The will seemed to be OK, but the site either did not
provide a self-proving affidavit, or it provided one that was not in
compliance with the statutory form found in the Virginia Code. Without
a valid self-proving affidavit, the witnesses to the will would likely
need to appear before the probate court, which could lead to
unnecessary and avoidable delays.

Angie