[blindlaw] putting a house in trust

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 26 01:14:10 UTC 2015

Hi Mike:

In addition to Angie's ideas, I humbly offer the following. By your father
asking about the "process" for placing his home in trust, he is seeking
legal advice. If you are not licensed in California, he should ask an
attorney licensed in California for guidance. Of course, he can draft, and
execute, a trust for himself; the web is full of do it yourself trust
documents. However, these self-drafted trusts lead to disaster much more
frequently than they do adequately serve the settlor of the trust. Doing it
himself certainly is not advisable.

Being his son, I do not see the ethical problem with you serving as either
trustee or executor. Beneficiaries are very commonly appointed to serve as
trustees and executors. Being an attorney, even if ethical to serve, you
will nonetheless be held to a higher standard than a lay person serving as
trustee or executor. But, I do not necessarily see an ethical problem. I
would see an ethical problem if you, in addition to being a beneficiary and
serving as a fiduciary, you were providing the legal advice and drafting the
document.

I would also bring it to your father's attention that Revocable Living
Trusts can be very expensive and somewhat unnecessary if your father doesn't
have any real estate out of state and if he is below the federal and state
thresholds for taxable estates. Sometimes a simple will suffices.

Another thought is that of transferrable deeds on death. I practice in Texas
and Texas just passed the Transfer On Death Deed Act, effective September 1,
2015. With this Act, Texas homeowners can now execute a simple deed that
transfers title to the named beneficiaries upon the Grantors death without
necessity of probate. If California has a TODD law, your father might want
to consider that method.

Now, this having been said, Angie is our resident Estate Planning expert and
she might find it necessary to correct me, which I welcome. Otherwise, I
hope this helps.

Daniel McBride
Attorney at Law
Fort Worth, Texas