[blindlaw] Do Digital Law Books?

Don Padou Don.Padou at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 21:14:57 UTC 2015

Hi Anita;

When I was in law school the Dean of Students also served as a sort of
coordinator for providing accommodations under the ADA.Every semester I
told her the classes that I was taking and the books that I needed.She
wrote to the publishers and the publishers provided PDF format books.

Sometimes the books came as one flarge ile and sometimes there was a
separate file for each chapter.Sometimes the PDF was emailed to me and
sometimes I received a CD.It depended on the length of the book.

Only one publisher ever gave us grief: North Carolina Academic Press.I
was never able to get an electronic version of my contracts book and had
to use a scanned version.

The Dean required me to show a receipt demonstrating that I actually
bought the books.The ADA does not require the publishers to give you
free books.I sold the hard copy books to a sighted class mate each semester.

There is a problem to be aware of.It can take several weeks for the
publisher to provide the PDF books.You are best served by getting your
request in early.Sometimes that means that you have to pester the
professor to tell you what books you need.

If your law school doesn't do a good job of providing you with PDF books
in a timely manner then don't waste time.Pressure them quickly.You are
in law school for a short period of time and it will affect your
career.You cannot afford to fall behind in a class because you don't
receive a book until two months into the semester.

In other words, don't hesitate to get an ADA lawyer.

Good luck,

Don Padou