[blindlaw] Strategies for examining and cross-examining witnesses more expeditiously

Ross A. Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Sun Feb 1 15:59:12 UTC 2015

Hi Rahul:
If you have a witness who is refusing to cooperate you have a genuine
problem.
I usually faced this problem in terms of a wittness with a disability, and
the resolution usually revolved around a reasonable accommodation.
This does not sounds like it is the situation you are facing.
I am known for being too accommodating for people. But in this case I would
suggest that this witness gets one last chance to be reasonable. IF she
refuses, ask for sanctions from the court equaling the time and expenses she
has cost you.
Then I would move that her testimony, written as well as verbal, be stricken
from the record.
If, as I suspect, someone is going to insist that she is an essential
witness, then that party needs to provide some garuntee to the court, that
her past year of antics will not happen again.
I rarely use this approach because it sens a message of being a control
freak in litigation. But in this case it seems as if a witness has seized
the proceedings.
Take the ball away from her altogether.
The other methods you suggest may work, but after a year's delay rooted in
one witness, you may be creating a whole ne3w level of complexity.
Can you make do with this witness?
Ross