[blindlaw] Re JAWS scripts as a remedy for inaccessible workplace software

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Mon Feb 9 19:35:51 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I too noticed that the accessibility of software designed for Apple
operating systems has become superior to Windows applications,and I am not
surprised that this is happening.  After all, whether a mindful developer
creates apps for a Mac or an iOS device, he/she is dealing with only one
screen reader -VoiceOver - which, unlike its Windows counterparts, is built
into the OS.  Moreover, Apple has posted clear accessibility guidelines for
developers to follow.  That said, although there are similar resources for
Windows, the fact that JAWS, WindowEyes, NVDA, System Access, and other
Windows screen readers all behave differently probably makes it difficult to
write software that is compatible with all these programs.  The same most
likely applies to screen magnifiers.  With that in mind, in my opinion, the
only way for Windows to catch up to Apple would be to redesign Narrator and
Windows Magnifier such that they match the power of JAWS/ZoomText and other
popular Windows screen readers and magnifiers, since they are the primary
assistive tools built into Windows.

Although I agree that we should learn to use all assistive technology that
is available to us, there are still times where all such options fail.  For
instance, if a program built for Windows provides no support for keyboard
navigation, all controls are unlabeled, and no corresponding iOS app or Mac
equivalent exists, and if the nature of the job makes it impossible or
impractical to bypass the software altogether, then what?  That is why I am
asking about JAWS scripts, which seem to open up possibilities not otherwise
available to us.

Best,

Michal