[blindlaw] Bluebook

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Tue Jul 21 13:30:48 UTC 2015

Derek and Laura,

Please allow me to briefly make clear my philosophical point, as I
seem to have experienced a great deal of difficulty in articulating
myself in both my prior emails. First, I've read Dr. Jernigan's speech
and those of Dr. Maurer and others echoing similar ideas. My statement
that "anything I can do myself, I should" comes with two clear
caveats. They are, so long as doing so is an efficient use of my time,
and so long as doing so will result in the highest quality outcome for
myself and others.

In the present matter, I felt that exploring the online Bluebook
independently from the start was worth it to me. My legal writing
professor instructed the whole class to spend time reading the rules
and tables to familiarize ourselves with their general location and
content. It therefore struck me that expending this effort was a wise
use of time and could insure optimal results.

As I said in my previous email, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds. Laura, you clearly have found success doing it your
way. I want to make it clear that I see your path as an alternative to
mine, nothing more or less. As I said, the endgame is successful,
independent employment, and that is where we all have ended up.

Finally, Laura, I apologize for the tone of my initial response to
Michal. In reviewing it, I understand I came across as judgmental of
your methods. I intended not to diminish your methods, but to advocate
for my own, and in so doing, I spoke hastily and conveyed the wrong
idea.

I hope this clears up any remaining confusion, and I hope to see both
of you at conventions for years to come.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris K. Stewart
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D. Candidate, 2016