[blindlaw] dealing with PDF documents posted on the internet

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Jul 21 21:44:43 UTC 2015

I went to the web site, and downloaded a file, from decisions link,
and viewed it.  The file appeared to be straight text, and I was able
to read it without problems.  Technically the file was not completely
accessible,  but I would consider it functionally accessible.  There
is no way to know if it was produced by the same software that
produces the files you have to read.

Your problems are most likely with the software programs that take
court documents and output PDF's.  I believe you said they were
proprietary programs.  Solution would involve either changing them to
produce accessible output, or remediating the PDF's to be more
accessible.  In theory some of the remediation could probably be
automated, with the right tools, but this would cost money.  My guess
is that a lack of funds is ultimately behind many of the
problems.  Although, the site I looked at did have accessibility
problems.  You could probably use it once you got used to it, but
many badly labeled, or inproperly labeled links etc.

Sorry I don't have better answer, if you can find someone to sue them
over access, this might get their attention.

Dave

p.s.  Maybe the way to go through this is to request reasonable
accommodations, and when they don't deliver use employment stuff
instead of accessibility.

DA

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org