[blindlaw] Transferring after 1L

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Wed Jul 22 18:07:51 UTC 2015

I tell college-bound students that the college that challenges one and makes
one the very best in one's chosen profession may not necessarily be a big
noise maker!  For example, and perhaps because i don't live in California, I
never heard of Occidental College until President Obama got elected into
office.  I can put Yale on my resume and be given a BIG POST appointment in
Washington, DC based on the name of the college.  However, what if I can't
really do the job?

I can understand why the choice of a college may be of particular importance
to a law student especially since lawyers are a nickel for a dozen!  But
what mark do I want to set as a lawyer?  What kind of lawyer am I aiming to
be?  Vexing questions no doubt, but I believe these ultimately determine how
well I do in the struggle to satisfy the expectations of my profession.

If UIU is giving you good quality legal education, fly its flag to the high
heavens and give it a chance to impact you professionally.  I'm doing this
for Indiana University Bloomington and I love it!  Now, I almost didn't like
the school that much when I was there; as I look back now, this was due
partly to the extreme humidity in Bloomington in summer, and the winter that
never seemed to end!  But I did meet professors who challenged my instincts
and taught me how to THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.  Their strategy is still
working for me and I'm using it to impact lives in my quiet corner.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

---