[blindlaw] Study Tips for Law School

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Wed Jun 10 12:55:12 UTC 2015

Hi Bruce and List,

I'm sorry for posting directly, but I receive the list posts in digest
form and thought this would be a cleaner way to respond.

I love the idea of doing a workshop at convention on studying smart in
law school. I will definitely raise this question when I attend my
first meeting of the blind lawyers section at convention this year.
Now, here are my quick hits.

First, for totally blind users, I strongly advise converting your
openbook files into Word files. This is for two reasons. First, Word
is easier to edit on the fly. And, second, I find navigation in
smaller chuncks easier in Word. The main mistake to avoid is turning
on your reading and just listening. This works in undergrad, but not
law school.

Second, outline as you go!! Do not be the person cramming at the end
of the semester. You will pass, but you will not best your classmates,
which is of course the goal in almost all law schools. So, every time
you finish a section, say it's contracts, and you have just finished
offer and acceptance. Sit down for a few hours and create an outline
of all of the cases and information regarding offer and acceptance.
Commercial outlines can help guide this inquiry, and I'll happily
share mine, but there is no substitute for doing it yourself.

Third, study your professor. I had a contracts teacher who was
brilliant, but the information he wanted wasn't the information
generally stressed in commercial study aids. Moreover, he could spot a
commercial study aid answer a mile away. So, know what your professor
wants.

Fourth, and on a related note, talk to your professors. Schedule a
couple of meetings throughout the semester and discuss the material.
Make sure you understand what he's telling you, and make sure you can
communicate the material clearly to him/her.

Fifth, stay healthy. Find time to exercise no matter what. Eat well.
Get sleep. If you are kind to your body, it will be kind to your
brain.

Sixth, talk to your classmates. Find people you really mesh with and
form study groups. Bring your own outlines and form master outlines.
Quiz each other. Find sample essay questions online or, where
possible, old exams from your own professors.

For anyone who is still reading, thank you. I have more suggestions,
and I am happy to discuss them with anyone. This is a public list so I
won't reveal my class rank, but it is high, and I'll happily discuss
that as well on an individual basis. I hope this was useful.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris K. Stewart
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D. Candidate, 2016