[blindlaw] requiring a Driver's License as a pre-requisiteto employment as an attorney

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 13:15:42 UTC 2015

It doesn't matter what the state of Arizona or any other employer has in
mind, if a driver's license, in other words, driving a vehicle is not an
[quote] "essential function" [unquote] of a position, it is illegal and
discriminatory to require applicants to poss	ess a valid driver's
license.

I once saw a technical assistance directive to personnel directors,
published by the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission), that
spelled out such a violation of the ADA (Americans with DisAbilities Act).
The directive even used an example of a sewer inspector position, stating
that driving is not an [quote]  "essential function" [unquote] of a sewer
inspector, and therefore, is discriminatory to require any applicant to
possess a valid driver's license as a position qualification.

Unfortunately, as stated here, government entities are the worse serial
violators of such non-discrimination provisions of the law, along with the
mentioned inaccessibility of the required online application process.

So much for equality, opportunity, and independence for blind persons and
other persons with disabilities, unable to possess a driver's license.