[blindlaw] Tone and more on notes

Rod Alcidonis, Esquire Attorney at alcidonislaw.com
Sun Oct 11 22:29:37 UTC 2015

Aimee:

I would not dare to comment on your tone but since you have expressly asked
for feedback, let me suggest a few things moving forward:

Without addressing your e-mail specifically, I believe saying please, thank
you, I appreciate your help, let me know if you need anything can go a long
way. You are dealing with human beings. Regardless of what the law say,
people don't like to be treated like shit. Your messages can be interpreted
as being a bit demanding. In law school and in the practice of law, you need
to make friends and not enemies. I only get tough with people after it
becomes clear that saying please and thank you will not do. Let me modify
one of your e-mail to illustrate:

"Hello omitted name:

Today was a good class. I hope you were able to get everything. She was
going really fast... Did you type the notes yet? I would really really
appreciate it if you can get them to me later on today. Please try to send
them before you leave for the day. I appreciate your assistance. If I also
can be helpful, please do not hesitate to ask!"

These people are getting paid just enough to simply put gas in their car.
So, you need to make it a bit more appealing to them by being nice and
courteous. Eventually, you make a friend. By being demanding and feeling
entitled, you will get people to resent you and not like you. When that
happens, people only do the minimum for you. You will need more than the
minimum to succeed in law school and in the practice of law.

You don't need to apologize but if I were you, I would approach the
administrator and say something like: "I reread my e-mail and I can see how
it could have been misinterpreted. I typed this in a rush. I understanding
you guys are helping me and I appreciate that. Being bossy is not who I am."

When I left law school, I had administrators in tears because I treated them
like human beings and for most of them, it was not just about complying with
the law, it was a motivation to see that Rod actually succeeds. I am good
friend with the people who were getting paid to scan my books, and
coordinate with publishers. There are times when I needed to be tough and I
was, but by then, I had already established credibility and a reputation of
being a nice guy.

good luck with your studies.

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.
215-821-6015