[blindlaw] Best Tech for Oral Arguments

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Fri Apr 15 13:02:38 UTC 2016

Hey Folks,

Of course, it's to each their own, but the best strategy for guiding
my oral arguments is actual, hand-written braille notes. This has two
advantages, the typing of the notes helps to reinforce your
familiarity with your argument and its factual/legal backing. And, you
have the freedom of the entire page.

I use relatively short paragraphs with a space between so I can run my
fingers down the page and have guideposts for where I am. Usually, I
keep one page in the back that is nothing but case citations, just in
case someone decides to ask for a full cite. This rarely happens in
practice from what I understand, but it frequently happens on mmoot
courts in law school.

If you have more than a 15 or 20 minute argument, I would advise
putting your notes into a notebook with braille tabs to help you
structure your argument. When it's time to move to issue two, simply
turn to the tab with issue two brailled on it, and "bingo!" Technology
is a wonderful tool, but I think the single-line nature of refreshable
braille display is a huge disadvantage in oral arguments.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris K. Stewart
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D. Candidate