[blindlaw] OCI Advice

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Fri Aug 5 04:09:02 UTC 2016

Hi James,

You need to highlight that you have not allowed your blindness to hold you back. To accomplish this, you must present it in the most positive light possible. For example, you may wish to mention that you have developed strong problem-solving skills as a result of your blindness because you constantly have to adapt to living in a sighted world. This may resonate with your interviewer, as law firms want people who are easily adaptable.

Also, if you have the opportunity, briefly discuss some of the adaptive techniques you use, focusing, of course, on the ones most relevant to the position for which you are interviewing. A good time to talk about this may be if the employer asks you to tell them about something that is not on your resume, or if you are asked to describe your ideal work environment. If the interviewer knows how you handle your blindness, he or she will be more likely to give you a chance to prove yourself.

I hope you find these tips helpful. If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to follow up with me on or off-list. Good luck with OCI!

Best,

Michal Nowicki

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: James Fetter via BlindLaw