[blindlaw] Blindness and Choosing A School

Sai legal at s.ai
Thu Dec 1 02:38:51 UTC 2016

I'm interested in the same questions as well, since the responses I've
gotten from schools about accommodations has been a generic "of course
we'll obey the ADA", rather than "these are kinds of accommodations we
could offer you".

That makes me concerned about what that'll turn out to be in
actuality, especially at highly ranked schools that might have a
culture of "if you're smart or got good grades / test scores before,
then you must not be disabled enough to need accommodations".

This is especially a concern when my disabilities are very rare and
poorly diagnosed, so of course must not exist. (I wonder how many
fully sighted people have worn through multiple high-mileage cane tips
before… </sarcasm>)

So, I can't answer what you actually asked, but am definitely
interested in reading responses, as I'm in a similar position.

- Sai