[blindlaw] Slick paint on sidewalks and roads

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 15:19:03 UTC 2016

Once again this holiday I fell down in the street because the safe
crossing area and the stripes used to indicate an accessible sidewalk
are painted so thick that they are like glass, especially in rainy
weather.  I generally avoid the striped sidewalks crossing streets
because of the risk of falling. It is not just in Texas, I have
slipped on sidewalks in other places, this seems to be a common
problem.  Is there some way that the accessibility laws can be changed
to indicate this problem and to work on ways to train people who
stripe the roads that they need to take it easy when they paint the
lines so they do not fill in all of the cracks in the road?

I believe what slipped me up was the red fire lane stripe in the road
which was located right in front of the sidewalk, about 8 inches wide.

James Pepper