[blindlaw] decreasing reliance on readers as proofers

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 19:02:37 UTC 2016

This message is in response to Patti's observation that blind students
and attorneys sometimes rely too much on their readers, an observation
with which I generally agree.

But I don't think this is the entire problem.  i think, in large part,
blind people don't even know what questions to ask, because it is hard
to know what errors are out there unless someone thinks to tell you.
I have been inordinately blessed by friends who have given me tips and
tricks both on style and also on mechanics about which I was utterly
clueless.  Things like the fact that if you copy and paste directly
from Westlaw, your quotation marks and apostrophes will look different
than those that arise when typing directly into word. Or, if typing a
single-spaced document with footnotes, it may behoove you to put a
blank line between the footnotes for ease of a sighted person's
reading smaller text.  or that global format changes such as
justifying text "above the line" do not transfer to your footnotes,
resulting in your footnotes remaining unjustified.  Or how you can
connect a heading with the first line immediately following it to
ensure that your headings are never on one page with the accompanying
text on the next page.  These are all things about which I had no
intuitive knowledge as a completely blind person.  Without having been
told, I would never even have known to ask the question, and would
have continued turning in documents with quite obvious errors that
even proofing with braille would not have caught.

I think it would be beneficial for these purposes for the NFb lawyers
division to compile a list of similar formatting issues, perhaps in a
wiki-type format so that everyone could contribute.  Of course, some
of these things come down to stylistic preference, but many of them
don't.  Has anyone else ever thought of this?

Laura