[blindlaw] Law Schools Power over Readers or assistants for study and outside of classroom assignments if the individual is not paid by the school

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Mon Nov 14 14:58:48 UTC 2016

Aimee,
Though I cannot say for sure, I think the people who have responded largely
understand your question. The discussion probably is going in a direction a
bit different than you expected with Laura's discussion of formatting. This
is a related discussion I think though. For quite some time, I have thought
calling this person the state will fund for you a reader does not actually
address the modern use case. I think that actual reading is much less needed
than it was 30 years ago. At that time, there were case books for the
classes and legal research came through the paper reporters and so forth.
Some of the casebooks would have been recorded on cassette, but the
reporters, citators and so forth were not. None of these were in Braille for
those who could use that. Today, I think it is rare that a person actually
uses a reader that way. There may be some old files that are legacy
materials and in practice, there are some hand written materials. The
majority though seems to be proofing documents and that is probably why the
thread has morphed more to that direction. It seems to me that you need to
articulate to those making the reasonable accommodation decision why you are
not getting an advantage by having the reader.

I graduated law school in the middle 90's. For most of my time in school, I
had LexisNexis, Westlaw  and a scanner with OCR for paper materials. That
latter was quite new though for personal use. Some professors wanted open
book final exams. When given a choice or if there was a vote on the open
book exam, I voted no! In law though, open books does not really give the
test taker the answers; it gives the materials with which she will conducted
her answers/arguments. Problem from my point of view was that a case book
might take 15 4-track tapes and I could see no good way to find answers in
that environment. I further assumed that because one had access to her book,
the professor probably expected quotes for holdings and the like. I might
have used a reader and directed her to the answers, which may have been
quicker, but probably would have required a bit of practice. At any rate,
with digital media, I think my arguments against open book exams lose their
bite. It seems to me, though I do not use on line legal sources at all these
days, that much of what is on the screen can be efficiently located using
JAWS and so forth. If that is true, it seems that developing facility with
the tools is where you really need to focus. I started law school with a
typewriter, a nice electric but..., a cassette recorder, a slate and
stylist, and a Perkins brailler.  By the end of the year, I have a desktop
computer, braille embosser, scanner with document feeder and OCR software
and a braille note taker. I found myself learning all of these while trying
to keep up with school and I sure wish to received or bought all this stuff
first so I would have come to law school with the skills already in place. I
say all of this because as I read what you write, the argument sounds like,
"I need this person, paid for by the state, to visually find things on the
screen for which I have searched. I need this because I have been out of
school for quite a while and lack the facility with JAWS that would allow me
not to need this person. Once I gain more experience here in law school, it
may become the case that I need this person less or not at all." If I were
the decision maker, I would conclude that you need to gain the facility you
lack right now and that a "reader" is not necessary. Maybe I am missing
something and I absolutely believe in our right as blind people to receive
the accommodations we need to address these activities like law school and
even legal practice beyond that.
Best
Jim McCarthy