[blindlaw] Law Schools Power over Readers or assistants for study and outside of classroom assignments if the individual is not paid by the school

Aimee Harwood awildheir at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 21:29:19 UTC 2016

Hello Gerard,

I have not explicitly asked about the penalty. What I have done is asked the school if they knew anyone that would be suitable for the position. I am not from this state and do not have a support network of people outside of the school. In discussing this with my professor she expressed concern about someone assisting in anyway with this assignment. No one is allowed to get any assistance or let anyone see their work. We are not to discuss cases or any aspect of the assignment with anyone. I drafted a quick article to publish in the digest advertising the position I am seeking to fill. I was hoping to reach enough people that maybe they knew someone who would be interested in the position if they themselves were not. I outlined the duties and expectations in the article with explicit language stating that I did not want to utilize anyone's legal knowledge. The sole purpose was dealing with anything visual. I mentioned that the individual, if it were to be a law student, would need to be a to L or higher because the individual would be looking at my assignments including the judicial opinion we are working on. I spoke with the individual responsible for administering accommodations and talk to him about the reader and how the duties would involve reading and formatting or verifying formatting of assignments to be turned in. The tone of his voice indicated he saw an issue with what I was saying but he did not come out and directly say I would be penalized. The only thing he did say was OK… You guys stay out of trouble.

As far as your question, I actually had the same thought myself this morning. I am sending out that very same question to see if they will comment directly on it. My expectations are that they will take a couple weeks to get back with me on it which will be after the due date of this assignment.

I do appreciate your email. That was a very good question to ask and I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness. I hope you have a good weekend.

Aimee

Sent from my iPhone