[blindlaw] Trial Advocacy, how to?

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 21 22:28:12 UTC 2017

Ger:

I second most everything Shannon says. Over a 23 year period, I tried about
100 criminal trials as a prosecutor and defense attorney.

Voir dire was my second favorite aspect of trial, second to final argument.
It is all but necessary to have a sighted assistant to help with notes and
reading body language of the venire panel. I also strongly encouraged the
client to take notes, observe the venire panel's body language and
participate in making strikes.

Shannon could not be more right about being organized, and I will add
prepared.

A very wise, and talented, older attorney that I clerked for during law
school, had a talk with me one day about being prepared. He was adamant
about one's ability to "out prepare" the other side.

During my years, I found that opponents, especially prosecutors, felt they
had an easy trial because of my blindness. No opponent ever made this
mistake twice.

I second Shannon's advice to be organized and to have sighted assistance
with evidentiary exhibits. However, I prefer the practice of approaching the
witness myself to present an exhibit to be offered, rather than having the
assistant do so.

Being blind, we need take advantage of any, and every, weapon in our arsenal
of tricks. Where I practice, the prosecution always has two prosecutors at
trial and, in felonies, sometimes three. Well, I managed to do pretty well
gaining brownie points with the jury by struggling with approaching the
witness stand and discussing exhibits, turning the table on the witness to
assist me therewith. The brownie points came through my struggles in tandem
with the jury's perception that the state had 2, or 3, sighted lawyers
beating up on this struggling, blind attorney.

In a trial, we are all looking for a level playing field, and my approach
always helped with leveling the field in the eyes of the jurors.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no substitute for being organized and being
prepared.

Best regards,
Daniel McBride
Fort Worth, Texas