[blindlaw] Trial Advocacy, how to?

Shannon sbg at sbgaal.com
Sat Jan 21 21:57:19 UTC 2017

The most difficult part for me is voir dire.  I practice criminal defense in
Texas.  Vision is really important in determining how jurors feel about you,
your client, the type of case etc.  I always have sighted attorney and non
attorney assistance for voir dire.  I conduct the voir dire, but I need
those with vision to let me know the facial expressions, the dress, the
attentiveness etc. that are shown visually rather than spoken.  I have also
been told that I probably would be given more latitude by judges to shake
the jurors hands during voir dire etc.  I haven't tried this yet, but think
it is an interesting idea.  During the trial itself, I have the topics I
want to cover on my computer so that I can make sure I cover everything.  I
also usually have a young attorney looking for experience sit second chair
to pick up on what is visually going on juror reactions as well as witness
reactions, judge's reactions and the prosecutor's reactions.
It is challenging, but I think I probably pick up on what is said and other
audio cues more than a sighted attorney so that is helpful.  I would love to
hear what others have learned.  As far as exhibits, it is important to be
organized!  Many times I ask to have my assistant be allowed to approach
with the exhibit etc.
Sincerely,

Shannon Brady Geihsler

Law Office of Shannon Brady Geihsler, PLLC
1001 Main St., Suite 803
Lubbock, Texas 79401
Office:  (806) 763-3999
Mobile:  (806) 781-9296
Fax:  (806) 749-3752
E-Mail:  sbg at sbgaal.com
This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or
attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express
permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,