[blindlaw] Arguing in courts using soft copy documents

Michael Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Thu Sep 7 16:54:16 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I personally prefer using a Braille display over relying on audio in oral presentations. However, refreshable Braille displays have one important limitation I want to be sure all of you are aware of in deciding which technology to use in court and in similar settings. Unlike with embossed Braille, we are limited to accessing one line of refreshable Braille at a time. So, while screen readers and Braille notetakers offer quick navigation features, such as virtual find, relying on refreshable Braille could sometimes pose efficiency problems. Whether those problems outweigh the benefits obviously depends heavily on the particular circumstances in which we use the technology, including not just the type of oral argument setting, but also the way in which we organize our electronic notes and other materials. I hope this helps.

Michal