[blindlaw] Seeking guidance

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:59:10 UTC 2018

On number 5, that's why I made the caveat about being unsure on that
point--I'm fully willing to admit that I'm wrong about that.

I still think you're painting an overly rosy picture of the
possibilities, but I'm not going to rehash the points I made in
another 2,000 word email. But comparing the legal job market to the
academic job market is a non sequitur; the fact that another job
market is terrible doesn't make the decision to go to law school any
more rational.

Again, perhaps I am not as good at writing cover letters as you;
perhaps Ohio's job market is better than Pennsylvania's; there are
certainly other factors I could mention. But, as I said, my experience
is certainly not unique. Essentially, you acknowledge all the points I
made above, you just believe that they can either be mitigated or
aren't that important. But I was told none of these things before I
went to law school, so it's important to me that people have accurate
information before making that sort of decision.

On 12/26/18, James T. Fetter via BlindLaw <blindlaw at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> probably send out hundreds of applications and get responses from
>> almost no one. If you want to clerk with a federal judge, you will
>> have already begun applying your second year of law school because
>> most federal judges are looking two years out. Much like prestigious
>> firm jobs, federal clerkships are highly coveted because of their
>> resume-building potential and you will be extremely lucky to get one.
>> Even state clerkships will be challenging to obtain; hundreds of law
>> students will be applying for each one. If you are lucky you will
>> perhaps get around ten interviews. If you are extremely lucky you will
>> get offered a job by more than one employer. However, unless you have
>> managed to obtain a high-paying job at a large firm your dividends
>> will not be large. I will give you my own example: by the time I had
>> obtained employment out of law school it was as an attorney in a very
>> rural county making $35,000 a year. And you know what? I was ecstatic
>> when I received the offer, even though I would be making $5,000 less a
>> year than my wife who works as a nanny.
>>
>> So, you need to ask yourself several questions. First, can you get
>> into a top 20 law school? Second, what kind of law will you practice?
>> What makes you particularly well-equipped to do so? If you cannot
>> answer this question, then you will not be able to effectively plan
>> your career during law school. Third, are you willing to sacrifice the
>> time and financial rewards you could have received, and incur a
>> potentially large amount of debt? Fourth, can you confidently say that
>> you can maintain a consistently high GPA at a prestigious school and
>> procure good internships (which may not pay) every semester of law
>> school? If your answer to any of those questions is no, you should not
>> go.
>>
>> In my opinion, law school is worth it for almost no one and is
>> basically a scam. The legal job market is terrible, but law schools
>> will not make this clear to you because they are desperate to maintain
>> their student body (many of them expanded pre-recession and are trying
>> to recover.) If you do get a job, it will probably not pay well, and
>> it it does you may very well end up hating it, because the legal
>> profession is nothing like how it is portrayed on television. This
>> video is essentially accurate:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7K0LtkAvs
>>
>> I hate to be the one to rain on everyone's parade. I'm sure there will
>> be many people who disagree with me here, some perhaps justifiably
>> (Laura Wook, a member of this list, clerks for Clarence Thomas.) But I
>> feel that I needed to state these things because a lot of people will
>> not.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Kelby Carlson
>>

>> On 12/24/18, Nicole Poston via BlindLaw <blindlaw at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> All,This is a very interesting thread for me.  In some ways, I am not
>>> Maura....I do not have children of my own.  However, I have in the last
>>> few
>>> years been encouraged by numerous individuals in practically every facet
>>> of
>>> my life to consider the idea of going to law school.  Like Maura, I would
>>> be
>>> considered a non-traditional student and I do not have any interest in
>>> working at some big NYC law firm...my expectations are more reasonable.
>>> am currently in my 17th year of my current professional career and have a
>>> masters degree I finished like 10 years ago. I'm required in my current
>>> profession to get at least 6 credit hours every 5 years, which I have
>>> done
>>> online...but that has been the extent of my recent experiences at the
>>> collegiate level.  I definitely have an interest in pursuing law but the
>>> idea of leaping into a completely new realm is definitely daunting.   I
>>> guess one of my nagging questions is.... can some of law school be done
>>> while still working?  Or does one need to plan on just doing law school
>>> and
>>> putting work aside for those few years?  Any advice on this or anything
>>> else
>>> you might find helpful is welcome and appreciated, either on this thread
>>> or
>>> privately.
>>> Happy Holidays!Nicole

>>> you. So go for it if you know it's right for you and you believe you've
>>> got
>>> the metal to find your way through some unique challenges. Follow your
>>> heart.
>>>
>>> My best wishes to you and yours for the holidays and the new year.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>>> Bill Spiry
>>> Attorney at Law
>>> Spiry Law LLC
>>> (541) 600-3301
>>> Bill at SpiryLaw.com
>>> Bill.spiry at gmail.com
>>>
>>> "what's within you is stronger than what's in your way" - Erik
>>> Weihenmayer
>>>
>>> Note that If you are not a client of Spiry Law LLC, this email does not
>>> create an attorney-client relationship and should not be construed as an
>>> acceptance of your case in the absence of a formal attorney-client
>>> agreement. This Email message may contain CONFIDENTIAL information which
>>> is
>>> (a) ATTORNEY - CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY
>>> IN
>>> NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended
>>> only
>>> for the use of the intended recipeient(s) named herein. If you are not
>>> the
>>> intended recipient of this Email or the person responsible for delivering
>>> it
>>> to the intended recipient, please be aware that reading, copying, or
>>> distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this Email
>>> message by mistake, I would appreciate it if you would reply to let us
>>> know
>>> and then delete the message and any attachments completely from your
>>> computer system. I do not waive any client's privilege by misdelivered
>>> email.
>>>

>>> Be aware that Email transmissions may not be secure. Third parties can
>>> and
>>> do intercept email communication.  By using email to communicate with
>>> Spiry
>>> law LLC, you assume the risk that any confidential or privileged
>>> information
>>> may be intercepted and viewed by third persons.

>>> on
>>> Tinder. So find other older law students who took a "non-traditional"

--
Kelby Carlson