[blindlaw] accessibility issues in public criminal defense

Derek Dittmar derekjdittmar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:26:34 UTC 2018

Good evening,
I’m interning this summer at the county Public Defender’s office under
the third year practice rule.  Since I want to go into criminal
defense advocacy, I was excited for the opportunity.  However, since
our county has not transitioned to paperless records, all of the
information about my clients is in print.  I’ve tried scanning with
Seeing AI, but there are too many errors for me to feel comfortable
relying entirely on the tech.
Is there anyone on the list that would be willing to share their
methods for accessing client information in a timely manner?  While my
internship ends in about seven weeks, I’d like to work in this county,
and would appreciate any assistance.  Specifically I’m curious about
preferred technology for court (I currently use laptop with JAWS);
methods for accessing both typed and handwritten records;
recommendations on courtroom advocacy with a service animal; and
anything else anyone would be able to share.
If a phone call is easier, I'd be happy to make myself available at
your convenience.
Thank you, and I appreciate this list.  Great to not feel so alone!
Derek J. Dittmar
Campbell Law School
Raleigh, North Carolina
derekjdittmar at gmail.com