[blindLaw] ABYY FineReader Stability with Jaws?

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:11:19 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for any confusion.  To be clear, I just want the answer to a
very simple question:

Does anyone use ABBYY FineReader to **read** not convert, pdfs.  Also,
as I mentioned in my subject line that I am a Jaws user, not an NVDA
user, I am only interested in that screenreader.

The volume of pdfs per day that I need to access and the need for
precision when referencing said files does not lend itself well to
relying on converting to a different file type as a work-around.
Besides which, I don't really have the time to sit around idly while
mass file conversions take place.  Again, why have we not collectively
stood up and demanded the ability to reliably and consistently access
PDF files?  Who doesn't need to do this as a lawyer in 2019?  I was
not a heavy PDF user until about a month ago because I was fortunate
enough to have access to K1000, but it seems that many of us have been
and have been experiencing these issues for quite some time.  At some
point, someone needs to take the lead and try to initiate change.

Thanks,
Laura